The Doctor, Vincent and Myself

Depression is a sticky situation. People often assume that it affects women. That it involves a lot of sleeping and apathetic behaviors. Or suicidal thoughts. The public is allowed to eat up whatever the media feeds them, but the reality is that depression is far more than just over-sleeping and threats to kill yourself.

I remember back in high school, the earlier years and possibly even starting in Junior High, having many terrible, suicidal thoughts. This wasn’t just the run-of-the-mill a-boy-doesn’t-like-me type of upset. I was saddened by who I was and the idea that I would never be better than I was at that moment. I had few friends and even fewer with whom I held close enough to know any different. My mother spent many years telling me that I was fat and made ugly devil faces when I was angry, high school only compounded on this horrible self-image that she helped create.

I had a best friend whom I spent most of my time with. I had people I was close-ish too. I had others I hung out with. I was social. But I always felt as though no one really understood me. No one “got me” in the way my best friend did. So when we’d fight, I’d hide. I didn’t want to answer the questions about why we, normally inseparable, weren’t eating lunch together. Why we weren’t running around spouting off lines from Shakespeare at each other as though we were somehow transported in time. Coupled with the lack of boy attentions, the fact that I didn’t like my boobs and a discomfort in my body, and the voice of my mother telling me how fat I was all the time, depression quickly set in.

I spent some time self-mutilating. I wrote initials on my ankles and wrists. I used needles and razor blades. I covered it up. I hid the scars. Today, almost all of it is gone and insignificant. I’m definitely grateful for small favors, including the one where I had no idea how far down I needed to go to make things permanent. I also had thoughts of suicide. Many of them. That I was tired of the laughing and the pointing, and the snickering behind my back. The way people talked about me, or the way I perceived them talking about me. The rumors that were spread. The general cattiness amongst the girls. The genuine need to destroy any and all things good in each other’s lives. It was far too much for this girl to handle most days.

I wrote letters. I hid them in the wall. I doubt my dad ever knew that I made that little hole in the closet to hide those things. I wrote many letters explaining why I was willing to do what I thought I wanted to do. I thought about it all the time. Planned different ways. There was even this particularly bad curve off of one of the major highways, and along the curve was this huge billboard in the middle of lots of underbrush. I often considered how fast I would have to crash into that billboard in order to make sure that it “worked.” No sticking around for the hurt and pain and endless sympathy and stares later. I knew that if I was going to do it, it was going to be for real.

I obviously didn’t do it. I’m here today writing this. The thoughts are there super rarely and often following something catastrophic like people at work treating me shittily and me being threatened to kiss some ass or I’ll be fired. But y’know, no job is worth that much stress. Pretty much ever. And if I were let go, it might be better for everyone at that point. I digress.

Last week’s Doctor Who, er, actually, two Saturday’s ago, was Vincent and the Doctor (this is the British airing date, as I’m fairly certain the U.S. is about 2 weeks behind, though I don’t know because I see them as they come out and am thus on U.K. airing time with the Doctor Who episodes). The episode itself is about Vincent van Gogh and the imaginary things he sees, but the deeper bit of the episode was the personal demons that Vincent was struggling with.

I’ll spare the details, for those in the U.S. who have yet to see the episode, but I cried. A lot. I watched the episode again last night, and again, I cried. There is something so touching and real about the end of the episode. The fact that depression often takes hold and doesn’t let go. That Vincent suffered deeply and still gave to the world so much beauty and art that there are few words to express this. Even as the authors of the episode try, the truth is, he can’t have known. Vincent that is. I can’t imagine what his life was like. I can’t imagine the pain, or the torment… or the suffering. But I can empathize. And wish for a Doctor like my Doctor to go and show him.

If there is ever a moment in your life when you’re faced with someone who suffers from depression, watch this episode. On it’s own compared to the rest of the season (or past seasons) it wasn’t the best. But stand-alone, it was touching and real. There are many of us who can related to any of the three of them (Vincent, the Doctor or Amy).

Now let’s move forward a little bit more. Sunday’s Postsecret was a particularly good one. I’ve reached the point where I don’t often read Postsecret anymore. It’s blown up and it’s no longer about secrets, at least not in the same way it used to be. But there was a Golden Gate Bridge secret. Then photos of people asking the poster not to jump. Then an email about someone who, upon taking their first walk across the bridge, saw “ribbons and messages along the way”. It was touching and to someone the person who sat on the bridge, it was very real. All of it was. It happens all the time. Someone, somewhere, has taken their own life, and it’s devastating and sad.

I could have been one of them.

For those in the U.K. needing help, not just for people who have depression but for family members and friends, check out BBC’s Headroom to learn more about depression and resources available to you.

For those in the U.S. check out Hopeline or  Call 1(800)SUICIDE [1-800-784-2433] for help, day or night.

2,238 Responses to “The Doctor, Vincent and Myself”

1. acne treatment product on February 11, 2016 5:22 am

Fantastic beat ! I would like to apprentice while you amend your site, how could i subscribe for a blog site?
    The account aided me a acceptable deal. I had been tiny bit acquainted of this your broadcast offered
    bright clear concept

Also visit my page; acne treatment product

2. Ethan on February 11, 2016 5:22 am

About what I use, I’m planning to talk, but ensure that you try out equivalent items
    utilizing the same treatments I use for clear skin.

my webpage best face wash to reduce acne scars (Ethan)

3. Monika on February 11, 2016 5:27 am

bookmarked!!, I really like your web site!

my web page – skin care acne (Monika)

4. Nolan on February 11, 2016 5:39 am

Get testimonials from the clients you already worked with, about your work
    and experiences. The trends in this industry change and new developments take place only when Google comes up with some
    novel feature that ends up breaking every site’s SEO and compels them to consider sale a property in bethesda maryland (Nolan) change in their current
    content presentation in order to do well. While effective
    SEO needn’t be difficult, it does take work. A reputable SEO
    company won’t have any qualms about connecting
    potential clients with former ones.

5. kenneth cole reaction womens zipper closure clutch wallet on February 11, 2016 5:42 am
  6. Nate on February 11, 2016 5:48 am

For the reason that the admin of this web site is working, no hesitation very soon it will be famous, due to its
    feature contents.

Look at my weblog; acne cream (Nate)

7. bottega veneta shop europe on February 11, 2016 5:55 am
  8. Fletcher on February 11, 2016 6:03 am

Yet the elegance of camping gear (Fletcher) is
    that you never ever understand just what can happen-you could satisfy somebody good, that shares things in common with you and your family, your youngsters
    could meet various other kids and also make pals for a lifetime, you could pick
    up things that will certainly advise you of the fun you had-even if you grab an acorn, it will certainly suggest something to you,
    reminding you of some top quality time spent with your beloved ones.

9. new nfl nike jersey sizing on February 11, 2016 6:08 am
  10. youth xl nfl jersey xxl on February 11, 2016 6:08 am
  11. workforce management scheduling software on February 11, 2016 6:18 am

Great topic and well written. Do you have any more resources about this that you reccommend?

12. Kristian on February 11, 2016 6:26 am

So you can conserve a bunch of cash over time with complimentary outdoor camping checklist
    pdf – Kristian – while having a good time.

13. www.alpc.co.kr on February 11, 2016 6:30 am

Get testimonials from the clients you already worked with, about your work and experiences.

Any business to conduct business on the web should have a web site created especially
    for creating an awareness of their products and ser-vices to the planet at large.
    Auro – IN has a strong team that is built on the delivery of outstanding campaign results,
    customer service and appreciation, and high levels of technical capabilities and values.
    You have to take price quotes from different SEO companies locally and internationally.

Also visit my website – http://www.alpc.co.kr

14. alexander wang uk sale dates on February 11, 2016 6:35 am
  15. http://homenoh.ncity.net/ on February 11, 2016 6:54 am

Many small companies prefer to hire SEO specialists as consultants rather than full time employees, unless
    they have a certain amount of websites that need to
    be continuously maintained and optimized. Thirdly, the search engines need legit companies to do site optimization. I am hoping to show you that I can help you achieve
    top rankings in the sites like I have for all my other clients.

In this way, it is informed about the kind of information that a surfer
    is looking for.

my web page … http://homenoh.ncity.net/

16. http://www.chopmall.net/comment/html/index.php?page=1&id=35909 on February 11, 2016 6:56 am

Although being aware of keyword percentages is a good
    idea, it is more important that content be relevant and
    useful to the visitor. The trends in this industry change and new developments take
    place only when Google comes up with some novel feature that ends up breaking every site’s SEO and compels them to consider a change in their current content presentation in order to do
    well. But in general here are the services that an online business
    owner should expect from SEO experts and other agencies and consultants:.
    A guy named Alan Emtage, a student at the University of Mc – Gill, developed the first search engine for the
    Internet in 1990.

my weblog :: http://www.chopmall.net/comment/html/index.php?page=1&id=35909

17. dkny khaki trench coat on February 11, 2016 7:03 am
  18. parajumpers vermont jacket quotes on February 11, 2016 7:03 am
  19. moncler sale germany 2016 on February 11, 2016 7:16 am
  20. click here on February 11, 2016 7:20 am

Great topic and well written. Do you have any more resources about
    this that you reccommend?

21. www.mercadomayoristaibarra.com on February 11, 2016 7:28 am

Great topic and well written. Do you have any more
    resources about this that you reccommend?

22. eli manning authentic nike jersey volleyball on February 11, 2016 7:29 am
  23. businesses for sale on February 11, 2016 7:41 am

If some one wishes to be updated with most recent technologies therefore he must be go
    to see this site and be up to date every day.

24. under armour coldgear junior compression long shorts fashion on February 11, 2016 7:44 am
  25. parajumpers parka anchorage navy blue on February 11, 2016 7:44 am